Certain development projects, especially those concerning the use of natural resources and land, come with a high risk of causing social tensions or exacerbating armed conflict. This event will engage with the findings of the recent report published by the IIED, ‘Mediation and Development Related Conflict, which makes a case for the use of mediation as a conflict prevention tool, deployed in the planning, assessment and consultation phases of development finance projects. Based on their experience and research on land, rights, mediation and environmental and social governance, the panellists will explore whether using mediation more efficiently and creatively in the planning stages of development finance could contribute to better prevention of conflict and a more inclusive development.
- Jaff Napoleon Bamenjo (Reseau de Lutte contre la Faim, RELUFA)
- Josie Lianna Kaye (TrustWorks Global)
- Kinnari Bhatt (Surya Advisory)
- Lorenzo Cotula (International Institute for Environment and Development, IIED)
You can download the report here.
- Tuesday, 7 June 2022 (Tue)
- 15:00 -16:00 BST | ZOOM
- REGISTER HERE